Popular WC server on the fritz * Need Tech!

Read log files for errors! If this fails, come here for help

Moderator: Forum Moderator

HiMasterWong
Peon

Popular WC server on the fritz * Need Tech!

Post by HiMasterWong » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am

counter strike 1.6 wc server:

i've ran my server for about a year and a half, most of which has ran smooth. But I am only a good marketing person and have managed to get my server in top 10 rankings in city ratings several times. The server sux, i'll say it, but people love it and here's why it sux.

My server co. tells me to come here for help, I'm cs beta vet, since 1999 i've been a 1 man army till i bought this server from stealthservers.net. i pay 53 bux a month and it crashs a lot. The server goes down, and doesn't restart itself. Then my subusers cant log in and restart the server...

Basically I'm looking for someone that can help by overhauling our server. I had an xp server but lost the info during one of the re'installs. So now i save the xp to the server, and my server co tells me that thats why its crashing... that and my current amx and wc mods dont mesh. I know your not supposed to run other mods, but i love uaio, and sticky c4, loading songs, killstreak and nade drop. thats about it. We have a fast download server too but I'm not sure how to add things too it. People that seem to know what they are doing have had a hard time making the server start up. So I'm hoping for this forums brightest and best.

IF your brave and want full power admin in my server and know you can help us, please contact me! heres my servers ip!

69.147.235.133:27015 stop on by and see wong! 69.147.235.133:27015

NEEDED!
Best compatible AMX Newest RC MOD
XP SERVER SETUP
FASTDOWNLOAD SETUP OR CONFIGURE
OR! Fix Crashing and setup xp server.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

YamiKaitou
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Popular WC server on the fritz * Need Tech!

Post by YamiKaitou » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 am

Best compatible AMX Newest RC MOD
AMXx 1.8.0 and WC3FT 3.0RC11b
XP SERVER SETUP
Either saving method works fine, SQLite is probably easier to setup
FASTDOWNLOAD SETUP OR CONFIGURE
Google it or ask your provider for assistance
So now i save the xp to the server, and my server co tells me that thats why its crashing
They don't know what they are talking about. Saving the xp does not crash the server
I know your not supposed to run other mods
Disable all of them except wc3ft and see if it still crashes. If it does, try running it without bots and only on the default maps.
Then my subusers cant log in and restart the server
If they are able to log in and reboot the box while the server is running, they should be able to log in and restart it even if it crashed. If they can't, your provider is screwing something up

No support via PM or Email

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Post by Geesu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 am

a) Your server provider sucks if they can't auto-restart your server
i) I recommend nuclearfallout.com - they mirror AMX X's downloads etc... I've worked with their 1.6 servers in the past as well
b) DO NOT use SQLite if you have a very popular server - MySQL will be MUCH quicker - but a little more difficulty to set up
c) If you'd be willing to let me test new releases on this popular server I might do it for you :P
No Support via PM

HiMasterWong
Peon

Post by HiMasterWong » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:41 pm

see inbox GEEsU =(
Last edited by HiMasterWong on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem
Peon

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:12 pm

I highly recommend Nuclearfallout. I've had a server with them since 2002 or so and it doesn't get any better. I've been running my own server the whole time, if you need help with anything, feel free to pm me. I don't need admin or anything, my own server keeps me busy enough. :mrgreen:

Steam friends: Vm|Mayhem

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:06 pm

To clear up a few misconceptions about our company I figured I would stop by. First of all we actually host quite a few WC3 servers with no issues. "Master Wongs" server unfortunately has had more issues then most.

If our customers have an issue with a third party mod that we can not correct, though of course we put every effort into doing so, then we have them seek assistance from the third party mod provider. This is of course after extensive troubleshooting.

Also to Geesu:
a) Your server provider sucks if they can't auto-restart your server
We do have auto restarts on crash. This user never requested it to be enabled, it is enabled now.

i) I recommend nuclearfallout.com - they mirror AMX X's downloads etc... I've worked with their 1.6 servers in the past as well
Great company, we however also mirror downloads, we are currently the top 5 hosts in North America for CS 1.6 based off game tracker and game-monitor stats

c) If you'd be willing to let me test new releases on this popular server I might do it for you :P
Geesu I would be willing to provide you a server for testing new releases if you would like, I can also keep it populated for you. I would like to prove to WC3 customers that under the right configurations we are a viable source for WC3 servers. I think with some configuration issues Master Wong will be experiencing a better server in no time.

Let me know if you would like to take me up on the offer Geesu.

Also to Wong, please check your support ticket.

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

well i have some suggestions in helping you find out the problem. first you can check ur wc3 error logs to see if its crashing on certain maps. then check to see if ur amxmodx and meta mod are up to date. then check to see if ur wc3 plugin is up to date. if all are up to date and map doesnt crash on certain maps ask ur admins if they do a specific command before the server crashes. if not then try disabling all the mods but amxmodx for 2 days and see if it still crashes... if it does then check to see if any of ur plugins collide with each other and check to see if you have the cfg's inputed with the right information... and for the people who host ur server i can tell that they care about there customers... i have never seen a server provider looking on forums before trying to help out their customer and give stuff away for free to help out other users in teh future... and geesu if ur ever too busy and need help just holla at me even tho i think u wouldnt need my help since ur a great coder and smart person.... i pretty much know this plugin inside out since i did a huge amount of modifications with it to improve my server

YamiKaitou
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by YamiKaitou » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:29 pm

whosyourdaddy wrote:and geesu if ur ever too busy and need help just holla at me even tho i think u wouldnt need my help since ur a great coder and smart person.... i pretty much know this plugin inside out since i did a huge amount of modifications with it to improve my server
Feel free to post fix patches to the bugs that get reported in the bug tracker if you are able to fix it. Then, either me or Geesu will gladly apply it to the svn.

No support via PM or Email

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 pm

im usually adding and removing things like for example the resetxp cause users can complain in brothers or father or whom ever in removing there xp cause they got into a fight and adding more disable.cfg's for ankh and helm and also adding levels and high skills levels with a cham option in them 2... i think ive done some other updates to but not sure

*edited*

o and for the problem where undead ultimate kills wont give you frags instead of going through every script and trying to find one wont it be best to put this right under the damage sections so like right after it does damage to the attack it will do this

Code: Select all

iHealth = get_user_health( iTargetID );
new frags = get_user_frags(id)
	if (iHealth == 0)
	{
		set_user_frags(id, frags + 1)
 	}

HiMasterWong
Peon

Post by HiMasterWong » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:35 pm

I checked my support tickets, they told me to go elsewhere for help. They specifiacally stated that they can not help with third party mods! I'm stoked if GEESU takes you up on that offer

I will say that they had a lot of patience for someone with server related problems constantly as i had. Several times they didn't or couldn't help me, stating that my servers configs caused the problems. In the end they told me support tickets were for server administration purposes only, or my ticket would be instantly closed.

AND, they said i was under the influence of drugs when I wrote my support tickets. That was the last straw, i've cancelled the server as they suggested.

IF ANY OF YOU HERO's can fix it and I will stay with them soley for the ip, despite brads counter-strikes.

"I have had enough of your personal attacks, especially after all the help I have given you. I know for a fact you are under the influence of drugs during many of your posts, and I will not stand for this anymore, you are completely irrational. One more outburst and your server will be suspended with no refund given as per our tos which you agreed to:

I'd be happy for you other guys to visit, or let me contact you.
Last edited by HiMasterWong on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

HiMasterWong
Peon

Post by HiMasterWong » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:43 pm

i didn't see this in my inbox, I'm just about to cry because this could have been me!!!!!

We switched our server to war3Ft a few months ago. We're liking it. I have my server set up for fast downloads and all the xp is saved to my mysql database.

NuclearFallout gives me a free 2GB website and I have all the xp being saved on that database. As long as your provider gives you the database info, it's easy to set up. I did it the first try with no problems. War3FT makes the database tables automatically as long as your info is right. I've been using my database for amxbans, etc. for years.

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 am

Not only do we offer free webhosting but we also will configure a mysql database for you: http://stealthservers.net/survey/

This survey is listed in every single support ticket response we post.

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:58 am

lol im kinda confused.... so what happened with ur server do u still have it and is ur issued fixed?

HiMasterWong
Peon

!

Post by HiMasterWong » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:43 am

Yes i still need the help! (was waiting on repsonse from GEESU) Thanks for all the PM offers, you guys are the best, THE BEST!~ I've been to busy to play cs, will contact you soon!

I jump around a lot, hope you follow all this garble.

LIES!!! They told me that web hosting would cost extra to do after i explained i needed an xp server. Come on Brad... THIS FROM THEM

Hello Wong,
We do not offer web hosting with our servers. We sell that separately. You can view our webhosting packages here: http://www.stealthservers.net/web-hosting

If you're not looking into paying for webhosting, you can try googling for free web hosts that allow you to have a free sql db.

(so cut the bs brad, im not on your turf anymore)

as an added note, they updated thier billing and support tickets to a new format and i lost maybe 5-10 support tickets. I counted about 32 support tickets mostly about server performance, but including overbilling (resolved), Buttons like re'install that had to be enabled, LAG LAG LAG, Server Not starting, and most recently the sub users not being able to log in after the server crashed.

(keep in mind when i checked the server panel, the server said it was up, but it was not) my entire club was given the info to help restart the servers and got server errors left and right. They tested and never saw error. No recent (1-3) days reports. The servers auto-restart feature he said did not work on crashes i think....

They had a lot of these temporary server down time, upgrade down time, or just plain stuff they'd never seen before causing down time, down time.

also, when i check my servers location, it says bloomington IL, and i was lead to believe it was in LA. Why would game moniter / game tiger state otherwise?

BRAD SORRY I DIDN"T NOTICE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE AUTO RESTARTS, in my case you should have known better than to ask.

http://www.game-monitor.com/cstrike_Gam ... T_DL_.html

and for the guy telling me that the server co. cares about thier customers by helping search forums, your totally right. They did TRY. I hope i didn't make it seem like brad/stealth didn't care enough to help, or go out of thier way to try. Thats why I'm here! Thats why I sent brad/stealth a link to this forum! The support staff were great, I never mentioned they added 5 re'direct servers at a value of 30 bux a month, for my server ip shift. I hope that the server they said they'd give GEESU, and keep populated was mine! You might as well, you know I deserve it.
Last edited by HiMasterWong on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Here is what it comes down to Wong, we are 100% willing to help you, but there is a lot of fluff that is making it difficult for our staff to do so. When people are constantly disrespected, it makes it very tough to offer beyond and above support. You have gone to extremities on multiple occasions, however there is no point in reflecting on that, so lets get things working for you and move on.

As far as the webhosting, the staff member did not mention our free web hosting that is offered by taking a survey, whether they forgot or intentionally did not post about is their fault and that will be dealt with. However we do offer free web hosting, and free mysql databases. In fact I can setup the mysql database for you, and have your server utilize it, not a problem at all, just open a support ticket and I will personally deal with it.

Also the server is showing Bloomington, IL because this is the location of our providers central office, the server is Located in Los Angeles.

As far as the auto restart, I have been monitoring your server since this mess began, and every time it has crashed our alert system is emailing me, and restarting the server automatically, so it is certainly working.

Anyways I will wait for your support ticket.

--Brad

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Also Wong I forgot to mention that I can setup a fast download url for you as well on the same web hosting.

Regards, Brad

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:45 pm

brad626 ive been trying to help master wong fei but im getting errors in logging on... when i tried ur website log on i got run time errors and when i tried using my ftp i got this error

Code: Select all

[16:43:55] SmartFTP v3.0.1016.17
[16:43:55] Resolving host name "69.147.235.133"
[16:43:55] Connecting to 69.147.235.133 Port: 21
[16:43:56] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
[16:43:56] Client closed the connection.
no matter which account login or password he gave me even the main one it would work for me but when he tried it he got into it with no problem....

your http://panel.stealthservers.net works tho but not ur main page logon

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:28 pm

tcadmin recently changed their cookie settings for logging in, that's why the main page could not log you on. We will have the home page login corrected soon, but yea just go directly to panel.stealthservers.net

The ftp is not working because we use port 2121 not port 21.

--Brad

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:15 pm

alright well the port 2121 is working all i need him to do is set me some access's so i can use the ftp which will make everything go faster but i dont know if you guys tried helping him with the plugins but i found several plugins running twice and his wc3 wasnt up-to-date.. mabye if u guys have a mod installer you would like to update it

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:59 am

I just tested ftp and it worked fine for me. I'm still waiting for him to open a ticket when he does I can easily install the latest wc3 for him and setup the mysql db.

I cant make changes without him asking for them, so again still waiting on that ticket :D

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:01 pm

well i also got the ftp going instead of using stealthservers.net i used his server ip address and i already installed the new wc3 for him and im making a couple of other changes too

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Converted the users sqlite db to mysql. Does the server need a local mysql db for best performance? The ping from the game server to the mysql server is 20ms. Is this acceptable as far as performance is concerned?

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:03 am

im sorry to tell to u but there is something wrong with ur server box... i re-installed his whole amxmod and meta mod to the latest version and only ran the wc3 plugin and it still keeps on crashing... its eather that its too much for your system to handle or it may be the box itself... my suggestion is giving him a whole new box with a huge discount because his server seems to be crashing 6 times a day... his even lucky people still play in his server... probably giving him a new box and let him keeping his old box so he can advertise the ip change and have a re-connect plugin on the old one so people joining that will automatically get transfered to the new server... im also going to do one more last test and its this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2542

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:50 am

can you tell me where to go to set this?

HiMasterWong
Peon

Post by HiMasterWong » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:03 pm

I've had at least 10 people try thier best, with the same conclusion each time, throughout the span of my servers uptime.

Well, I'm gonna go do what I do when my servers down, SKATE! I'm gettin really good at skating.
Last edited by HiMasterWong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 pm

well today wong called me into his server because his xp's got reset and it wouldnt save... it was set to sqlite and for some reason 10k exp would be lvl 10 when i changed it to mysql it fixed.... any idea why when it uses sqlite it wont save xp or load users xp? i removed the sqlite and it works fine now but there has been some bad save on teh sqlite any idea how to fix it.. brad if u can read this i saved his sqlite under war3ft1.sq3 and the mysql lags every who usually have 30 ping into the 200's

brad626
Peon

Post by brad626 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:39 am

We had the server setup to use mysql, someone changed it to sqlite, and that is how it currently is saving xp. Since the last message we have finished migrating our web server and the mysql database is now on the same network as the game server, so again I recommend setting the save method to mysql, not sure why this is changed.

As far as the mention above of this being a problem with our servers resources, this is not at all the case. To give you an idea, his server currently has 13 active players, there is also some other servers with active players on the server, and the CPU usage is currently at 2%. The highest the CPU has gone in the past week is 10%, and the daily average for yesterday was 1.2%. The server also has 6gb of ram and is only running cs servers, which tend to not need much ram.

Also you have xp set to be saved for 311 days, and at the end of every round, considering there is a comment in the config stating this could cause lag, I would recommend changing the setting. As we have established, this exact server with war3 disabled was running just fine with zero crashes: 69.147.235.145:27015

It is safe to say it is the mod, maybe gessu would be willing to go over the servers settings and see if he finds something, I have troubleshooted every aspect of the server I can, but it comes down to knowing the inter-workings of the mod.

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am

its not the mod because i had used geesu files for lvl 10 for about 4 months on my server and updated making it level 13 with level 4 skills and it also ran fine and i just updated it one more time to level 17 with a level.ini so only certain people active on our forums can gain levels higher than 13 if they provide there steam id and are active enough and i have never had an issue with the mod. the reason it is set to sqlite is because i changed it because due to the unbarable lag from the mysql. users who usually have 30 ping have 230 ping including me and it feels like im playing on dial-up. my suggestion is that if this doesnt happen alot give wong a new server box and let him keep this one so he can set a redirect plugin for a month for his usual's so when they connect to his old one it will redirect them to the new one and he will have time to advertise his new server ip. there is nothing wrong with the mod its probably a glitch or problem with the server box that he is currently using

HiMasterWong
Peon

Post by HiMasterWong » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:49 pm

brads final statement:

It's clear as night and day that the mod is causing the crashes, so it really would be best if an expert from war3 forums (like gessu) took a look at things, I think it's safe to say we have troubleshooted every thing.

my final statement: waiting on free time

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Post by Geesu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Sorry I haven't followed the entire chain... But... who is brad? Server owner/manager? Has he commented in this thread?
No Support via PM

whosyourdaddy
Spell Breaker

Post by whosyourdaddy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:28 pm

brad is the hosting company

Forgott3n
Peon

Post by Forgott3n » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Well this a long, complicated, debacle.

Let me chip in my share here:

I helped Wong with saving the XP outside of the gaming server to help relieve stress on it. The database was a MySQL v5 database located at mysql.c3studios.ca I set the configuration correctly and according to my system, was last used April 22. AFAIK, the server Wong currently uses is Linux (A favourite of mine) however Valve has very sloppy coding for dedicated servers running on Linux and unfortunately CS runs best on a Windows 2003 Server machine. I ran a homebrew CS (and TF2) dedicated server from a CentOS 5.2 box with very slim specs (1.6GHz, 512 MB RAM, Chipset) and it crashed, had runtime errors, generally errors caused by the incompatibility with the Linux kernel. Research tells me Windows is better for CS DS.

I think its shitty that Wong has dealt with problems like this for so long, and he should be compensated for it. Brad here looks like he is trying his best to resolve the issue, and Wong should take up on his offer. However, lets face the facts, people wax poetically about Nuclearfallout and after using it myself, I find it hard for Wong not to at least try it out.

Of course AMX Mod X needs to be at its latest, as well as Metamod, War3FT, UAIO (if he still uses that), and the various plugins. SQLite is a pain in the ass IMHO, as its unfamiliar to me and appears less robust and stable. And stable is the goal here.

Again, no hard evidence here, just my opinion, but the MySQL XP database should be kept on a separate machine to allow the main server to better serve the Counter-Strike HLDS_Run daemon. I think its more efficient to have a little of lag between database store and retrieval and maintain stability, than to have instantaneous database store and retrieval but put stress on the machine to worry about it.

So to resolve the issue, this is my checklist:

- Move server to a Windows 2003 Server
- Optimize Windows 2003 Server (Turn off unnecessary services)
- Move all client and map content to a webserver for fast dls (best case scenario: different machine)
- Move all SQL data to MySQL format on a seperate machine
- Update all mods
- Optimize MySQL DBs from time to time to remove overhead

Cheers.