Conversion from UWC3 to UWC3NG

Want to talk about UWC3NG or make suggestions? Post them here

Moderator: Forum Moderator

slmclarengt
Militia

Conversion from UWC3 to UWC3NG

Post by slmclarengt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:45 pm

From what I just researched, UWC3 and UWC3NG use different table structures for their xp saving and such. However if I wanted to convert my XP information from UWC3 to UWC3NG, would that be possible or is it too much different in the way it determines XP/skills?

Slmclarengt
"I am become Death destroyer of worlds" - Hindu God Krishna speaking with Soldier about battle (Later quoted by Robert Oppenheimer, head of the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos Laboratories.)

Marticus
Lead UWC3 Developer

Re: Conversion from UWC3 to UWC3NG

Post by Marticus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:17 am

UWC3 was the ugliest code-base I ever had to maintain. Even with the few hacks I/we developed for it, it never got prettier and no one had the patience to rewrite it. I don't see why anyone would be interesting in writing a conversion utility for it *grin*.

The only good thing that came out of it was the nifty menu system I added to wipe and reassign skill points at any point in the game. Oh and the fact that it got me interested in WoW. Now that I think, maybe that wasn't so great after all. =D

Regarding your request, I realize this is a late reply, but I figured someone might come along asking the same question. If NG has the feature, you should consider instead giving people free XP to boost their morale if they feel ripped off from all the "work" they put into the archaic UWC3 mod.

BTW, in case it ever comes up. Don't ever ask for the source code for uwc3 beta. I don't have it and don't care to go looking for it. If you want the original original original source, I think Geesu still has a forum for it at the bottom of these boards. I highly recommend against using it.

I hope I don't sound -too- bitter.

UWC3 is dead, long live... no wait... may it suffer the agonies of hell for all eternity.

Cheers!

Marticus

DarkAngel
Militia

Re: Conversion from UWC3 to UWC3NG

Post by DarkAngel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:34 pm

slmclarengt wrote:From what I just researched, UWC3 and UWC3NG use different table structures for their xp saving and such. However if I wanted to convert my XP information from UWC3 to UWC3NG, would that be possible or is it too much different in the way it determines XP/skills?

Slmclarengt
How Marticus had said it, I think it's impossible.
Developer of the UWC3 Next Generation mod.
http://www.fun-arena.com