[SUG] award xps for short term xp?

Want to talk about war3ft or make suggestions? Post them here

Moderator: Forum Moderator

eigentor
Peon

[SUG] award xps for short term xp?

Post by eigentor » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:50 am

hello everybody,

first i want to thank the developers of war3ft for all their work.
we play wc3ft for a long, long time on our servers and had a lot of fun with it.

we´re playing the new version 3 RC3 since the last weekend and put a list together what people liked and disliked most in comparison to 2.3.1.

positive:
  • - orcnades have a red fade
    - orcnades are less powerful
    - scroll of respawning is cheaper
    - loosing xps for tk
    - minmodel check working (at least it didnt before at our server)
negative:
  • - running out of necklaces too fast
    - helm less useful and too expensive
    (so in 10 rounds one would spend around 35k only for helms and necklaces)
    - ultimate of blood mage is totally useless
    - getting too much xp per round from awards
[SUG]
what people on our server disliked most was the xp awards system. maybe this could be turned off by cvar or only used on playing short term xp?
[/SUG]

we also put a list together with what we think are bugs, i´ll post it at the bugs forum with the error logs since weekend.

again a big thank you for all the work you did and do.

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Post by Geesu » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:12 pm

What awards do you think should be turned off? Would a decrease in the amount of XP be better?

Also, what is the problem with blood mage's ultimate?
No Support via PM

supergreg
Peon

Post by supergreg » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:41 am

I'll post here as the feedback is very much the same.

We are running 3 public servers with cs+wc3ft. Two of them are running 2.3.2 and our newest server is running 3.0 rc3. We have had this setup for a month now, and here's our experience:

positive
+ helmet charges are good
+ levelbased item prices (as long as all races can carry more than 16k cash)
+ very nice to be able to buy two items from same shopmenu
+ minmodels check
+ 1 sec godmode after respawn
+ crypt lord ulti shows victim and damage

negative
- orcnades have become too weak. Now that they can be turned off for specific maps, their old strength shouldn't be an issue
- necklace charges run out too fast. better to get 4-5 instead of 3.
- lose neck charge if someone teleports nearby. Could this be a servervariable, perhaps? "necklace blocks enemy teleports yes/no"
- people dislike that bloodmage lost banish/slap, they say mage was the fun race where one could slap and steal money
- I personally prefer the old bloodmage ulti. It would kind of hide you, so it was useful, even when the enemy didn't get burned. To me it also makes more sense that a flamethrower burns anyone it hits, not just one guy. The new one works ok, but it is not as much fun, and seem weaker.
- orcs killed by the bomb will not reincarnate weapons. same for other races who buy ankh after blown up by bomb
- if you get killed and changerace to orc (with lvl3 reinc) you will not reincarnate weapons
- too much xp awarded for not doing anything (kill assist, team round win etc). Serveradmins can control how "easy" getting levels are by setting the initial xp level (i.e 50xp for lvl1 or 350xp) - since serveradmins know how often xp is reset, they can then find a good balance. Just a thought ;)

I can't find any changes for crypt lord in the changelogs, but it seems that impale now lifts enemy from ground (slap) - is this an addition to the old distort (enemy screen shaking) or a replacement? I think the screen shake was an excellent skill.

Sadly, people think too much has changed on 3.0 rc3, and request the old plugin reinstalled - several have said the only reason they stick to our newest rc3 server is because of its better HW and thus improved latency and hitbox, and that they prefer the gameplay of the old mod version :? I think charges are fine, but I do notice people don't like it at first, seems it has to grow on you. I think it will work well with just minor tweaks.

I would also like to make it perfectly clear that our players and our admins all love this mod in general, and we thank you for your work and dedication! I have personally donated a bit, more coming when I can afford.

BTW: There's a good chance you could use our latest server for the testing you request, Geesu, let me confront that serveradmin and I will get back to you (it's in Oslo, Norway, though).

In response to this threadstarter: Orcnades do have red trails on our old mod versions as well

Geesu

Post by Geesu » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:56 am

TY for the feedback - I do appreciate it - even the negative :)

First I'll start with the things I will take into consideration and then list the things I'd rather not change:
- necklace charges - I could see this increased - maybe a 50/50 chance of it being 4 or 5 (but it worries me that it might confuse people if it's random)
- xp system - this definitely needs revising, i agree it's too easy to gain XP - i've just been lazy in looking @ this
- orcs + bomb explosion - i had actually thought that I fixed this :( It's been plaguing me for like EVER - i will look into it again
- changerace to orc - they should reincarnate - bug on my part

Things I don't really want to change:
- teleports nearby - if necklace charge increases this shouldn't be as big of a deal
- blood mage ult - i hated the old one + prefer the new one
- banish/slap - this won't be coming back - there was a shit ton of feedback about hating it so i'd rather leave it out, and i prefer how it is more of a defensive skill
- orc nades - i understand the map turn off option, but in theory i don't want to take this into account, I think they should stay as is, perhaps allow gloves to do the extra damage now by default since they are not as powerful?

Once again, TY for the feedback - and sorry if this is disorganized, it's 2AM here + i only got up b/c i can't sleep :P
No Support via PM

supergreg
Peon

Post by supergreg » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:19 am

Thanks, quick reply :)
All valid points, and I agree there are workarounds for most of these minor issues!

It's nice to see the reincarnation issues are infact bugs and not changes. IMO the reincarnation of weapons is really important, it has become the single most important reason why I don't care for normal cs 1.6 anymore ;)

- If neck charges are increased, spending them to block nearby teleports are no prob.
- As for orc nades, yeah, I guess people will settle for less power on each, if gloves does not further decrease their power. It just seemed like the new upper damage of 100 hp (I think?) was a bit too low.
- I did not know people had complained about banish, our players have enjoyed it. I agree with them, it does make the game more fun, less serious. Those banishes sure could backfire too, i.e. when slapping an UD so he landed and exploded next to you ;)

Speaking of disorganized, sorry if my posts are... it's 8 AM here and I really should've been sleeping a long time ago :roll: hehe.

Since I am posting anyway, one issue we are having with chameleon on the old mod version: It does not always display the correct ultimate icon. You get the blue shield one the left that symbolizes invince, but if you press the ultimate button, your real ultimate is used (sucks when it's suicide). If you use /level - you see what you really got. A few select times I have also seen two ultimate icons at once. This might be fixed on RC3, I have not tried to "reproduce" there yet.

saintk
Footman

Post by saintk » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Tbh i think the necklace and helmet at 3 is very good. It brings a whole new thing in the game then you need to re-buy items when they run out.

For helmets this is great, cause the damn things are just way to powerfull. And for necklace i find it cool too, you wont be just protected all the time, u need to pay extra attention when it runs out etc.

supergreg
Peon

Post by supergreg » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 am

Well if you are running a server where the buyzone is enforced, you will have to run back to spawn to buy more necklaces (if you can get there before buytime runs out), not very likely nor fun. Thats why I think 5 would be better for necklace. 3 is ok for helmet IMO

Geesu

Post by Geesu » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Good thought on the buyzone restriction - I forget that some people have this on...

I'll increase to 4 for neck, but helm stays @ 3
No Support via PM