Thinking about a remake, are you interested?

Latest plugin releases and announcements

Moderator: Forum Moderator

YamiKaitou
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thinking about a remake, are you interested?

Post by YamiKaitou » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 pm

EDIT: Due to the amazing response I have seen in the last 6 hours, visit http://www.wc3ng.com for more info about this idea

Alright, not sure how much traffic this site still gets, but I thought I would post here anyways. I have long considered remaking/advancing WC3FT from scratch, even tried to get it started back in 2010 (aka WC3NG), but other things got in the way and I never got anywhere. So, I want to engage the public and see if there is even interest in this. If I get enough votes, I will start planning stuff and get a site up and running where I can list planned features and even how to apply to a group where you can give me ideas, respond to ideas I have, and even participate in a Closed Alpha/Beta.

You can vote in the poll by going to http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51 ... 88dc2afeac

If you are really interested in this idea, please encourage others to vote. The more votes I get, the more I will be convinced that the remake is needed and the more motivation I will have. Even if you are running your own modified version of wc3ft, I encourage you to vote as this new version will be much easier to customize and add features to than wc3ft.

No support via PM or Email

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Re: Thinking about a remake, are you interested?

Post by Geesu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm

PM me bro I'll help out :)

Why don't I have you on IM anymore?
No Support via PM

YamiKaitou
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by YamiKaitou » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 am

Geesu wrote:PM me bro I'll help out :)

Why don't I have you on IM anymore?
Probably because I don't sign in anymore. I'm on Steam though.

On March 7, 2013 around 06:00 CST, the forums for WC3NG will open and you may begin to discuss new ideas and stuff. I just need tonight to put the finishing "security" touches on the forums since I have been lazy and not doing it.

No support via PM or Email

Krazy
Forum Administrator

Post by Krazy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Just logged in, thinking about the good old days of CS 1.6 with Warcraft 3 Mod on my servers. Glad to see you guys re-sparking this mod!

Need help anything to do with Warcraft 3 Mod, installing other plugins, setting up mySQL, installing PsychoStats, or anything else just PM/email me!

WildSoft
Peon

Post by WildSoft » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 am

I recently came across this by accident, what timing! Love it! :D

I will help support this in any way I can and I hope this will become the great successor to WC3-mod. I still to this day like playing good old CS 1.6 with WC3-mod and I know for a fact that so does a lot of other people as well. And now that Valve has sparked some new interest with the new updates to CS I hope more will start to play this again. This is a very welcome project, one that I also hope will trigger some new responses and life to this community overall.

Even though I'm very excited about the news from YamiKaitou, I also still love the current mod. I would run these side by side on their own servers, supporting them both. From what I understand WC3NG will be much the same but also very different. Different is scary but also new and exciting. Different is good. DA (Michel Vocks) released UWC3NG back in 2008 which was wonderful. It was based of Geesu's WC3FT remake and he fixed a lot of bugs and other faults the current WC3FT and the old mod had. I worked with DA to find bugs and make other improvements and suggestions but sadly UWC3 is insanely hard to balance. The mod was very popular at fist but as soon as a base of players reached the higher levels, there's was almost no point for new players to even try. This together with the diminishing player base, DA's decision to leave the mod and no one left to support it was its downfall. As was it with the old version as well. But back then you had a much larger player base to sustain it. This problem does not exist to the same extent for WC3FT-mod and for that reason it still goes strong thanks to the community, even though the developers have stopped working on it. It's also perceived as less complicated and easier to learn. WC3FT is still a very popular mod considering it's for a game that's more than a decade old! :shock: And I'm sure there will be a big interest for YamiKaitou's mod as well.

This post is not made to tell you all what could have been or that I don't look forward to YamiKaitou new project as a new and different but similar mod. It's the complete opposite. I'm telling you what is and what to expect and my sincere plea to all of you, especially the coders, who still like me, feel there's a market for these kind of mods and want to reignite the community flame! Support YamiKaitou in this endeavour and support the rest of the community and developers.

I know this is a long shot but I really, really hope there's someone out there willing the help fix the most critical bugs in Geesu's WC3FT mod and the website in anticipation to YamiKaitou's release. For the benefit of all of us and the community. YamiKaitou isn't aiming to remake the standard mod again and for good reason. But that doesn't mean we have to completely neglect the existing one. Not when it's so close to being "finished" and still have a big player base. Please don't let it die out completely. It just needs some polish.

With that said, don't forget to head over to http://www.wc3ng.com and sign up!

For some strange reason I never learned real coding even though I've been very interested in it and the Goldsource/Source modding community for more years than I care to admit. Sure, I understand the logic in pawn and other code. I know the basics and how to edit code. But I don't know how to actually write code. Maybe some day in the future but for now I, like so many others, rely on those who know what they're doing. I would be the first one to sign up to help with the coding of YamiKaitou's mod and the excising ones. But since this is not the case I can't help out very much in that part. I will however still help in any other way I can and offer my other resources. Please feel free to contact me if there's anything I can do.

Looking forward to see how this develops =)

On another note, there's some problems with wc3mods.net and war3ft.com itself.

All Google results on: wc3mod wc3mods wc3mod.net wc3mods.net and so on gives you malicious redirects links. When reading the results and hovering your cursor on the link it says "www.wc3mods.net". Upon clicking the link it redirects you to http://korawi.4pu.com/ - Which my Anti-Virus blocks. Manually entering the address in the browser gets you to "http://wc3mods.net/main/". The same goes for any results to "www.war3ft.com". As you can imagine this is not good for the flow to the website. Far from everyone will try and enter the URL manually.

There's a lot of dead links on the sites.

Also please take a look on the bug-reporting page: http://wc3mods.net/bugs/?project=1 There seems to be some problems with the database which makes the site incredible hard to navigate. There are some good code-fixes posted on there I am trying to implement.

Are any of you guys still active in any of the official IRC-channels? #wc3mods on GameSurge seems to be pretty dead :(

(not allowed to use url-tags)

// WildSoft

DeLiriuM
Peon

Post by DeLiriuM » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Really looking forward to the new mod :)

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Post by Geesu » Fri May 03, 2013 3:04 pm

What is the issue w/the virus?
No Support via PM

fjollerik_dk
Peon

Post by fjollerik_dk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 am

I'm trying to reopen my old wc3 servers again, and just saw now that you guys maybe wanna make a new version of this :D

I'm here to help you guys if you need it, but I cannot code anything :(

But I've talked to some of my old players and try all want me to open my old servers again..
That's why I'm here to see for any new wc3 updates...
I hope that you will update or make a new/better version.. I look forward to it, and again if you need any help, I'll try to help you guys :)

Btw.. Don't know why my other account (fjollerik) is banned, so I've made a new account :)

momal12
Peon

Post by momal12 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:54 pm

I agree, nice job on the new release. I installed it first try and it seems to be working nicely, gj.