mysql help

General discussion about Warcraft MODs for CS/CZ/DOD

Moderator: Forum Moderator

GUNN3R17
Footman

mysql help

Post by GUNN3R17 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:34 pm

mysql crashed on my linux(redhat) server and i was running wc3 ft 2.2.5 and mysql 4.1...

the whole server crashed and im having trouble getting things back up

i have the w3ft.sql that holds the xp info...how do i setup up the server so it is reading that again..

note: the mysql files and services are gone(i have no idea what happend to them, all that is left is the instal file)

also i wasnt the original person that installed it and am very noobish to mysql(so please give steps or atleast talk basic to me)

edit* binary packages look to be missing...not 100% sure and if they are nor sure what packeges i need to get...is there a way to see what exact linux im running?

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:03 am

GUNN3R17:

The best way, I know of, to see which RedHat version you are running is issuing the following in a shell(don't worry if you get a file not found with some of the cat commands it means it's a different file for your version):

Code: Select all

uname -a
cat /etc/redhat
cat /etc/release*
cat /etc/redhat_release
I'm not that familiar with RedHat (in fact, due to it tending to change a lot from version to version I dislike it), but if you have a graphical interface you should have a package manager. Just start it, search for the MySQL entry and reinstall it, it will deal with everything automatically. If you are doing it by hand jump to rpmfind and grab the latest 4.1.x package for your distribution version along with any dependencies it might need (stated in the page for the package in the above site).

I'm assuming you aren't familiar with installing packages, if so jump this. Save all packages downloaded in the same dir, become root, and issue:

rpm -Uvh <mysql package filename>.rpm
It will deal with dependencies and if it detectes a missing one just grab it from rpmfind put it in the directory and rerun the command.

When the deamon is installed jump to the MySQL for Warcraft 3 FT simple Mini-HOWTO and follow it untill the point where you'll be adding XP for your users, when you'll run this in a shell (I'm using the same names as the Mini-HOWTO, so adapt if needed):

mysql -u amxx -p[amxx password] amxx <mysql.sql
I hope this helps, post if in trouble, and I'll try to help.

Regards,
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:55 pm

thanks for the help...im going to try it when i get back from scuba diving or the next day when i dont have work

had to use cat /etc/redhat-release(lol...now i see what u mean by every version is different)

what linux do u prefere? any versions run better with steam then others?

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) is the one i have

thanks again for the help

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:25 am

GUNN3R17:

SCUBA, hein? PADI or TDI certified? Been a diver for over 18 years myself.

I prefer Debian every day of the week and twice on Sunday over RedHat/Fedora Core, since we are talking about a server, not a fancy desktop.

Tell me how it worked out (both the dive and the MySQL problem).

Good water,
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:37 pm

actually im a advanced naui and basic padi certified, im in a course to get instuctor certified right now...my dive last thursday was the best i have had in a great while...i did my dive at cresent(in laguna beach) and a harbor seal swam with me and my buddy the ENTIRE dive...we saw it eat a octopus and a garabaldy...then we startheading back in and my partner keeps bumping into my left fin so i nudge him to get some distance...that went of for about 15 seconds and then i reasired he was on my right side and when i looked over the seal sped ahead of me one last time, lol...

where do you go diving at? im in the orange county area and go to redondo/laguna beach mostly...with a trip to catilina every now and then.

as for the mysql..i havent had time since my friend wanted help making his computer...it wouldnt start and after awhile we realized that the power supply was fried...so tonight hes getting a new one and were going to set that up and then hopefully get to the mysql

me and my friend are both mostly new to linux...is Debian beginner friendly? or is it more advanced?

edit* so much for geting things done tonight...hes going to bed at 10:40...and the power suppplie works now but his moth board may be fried from the bad one...if a computer starts up...cpu fan spinning NO BEEPS...and monitor not showing anything...any other little things that could be wrong?

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:59 am

GUNN3R17:

I mostly dive at the southern coast of Portugal (North Atlantic) at the Algarve and Sesimbra for Tursiops truncatus (bottlenose dolphin) sighting, with several dives at Madeira and Açores (you write it Azores) for Stenos bradensis (great-ocean dolphin) and once in a blue moon whale sighting, but those are deep blue dives, since the Açores are vulcanic Islands in mid Atlantic.

Debian isn't begginner friendly in the manner of not having a graphical interface by default rather a console environment, but for someone that knows how to deal with console commands, it's not that dificult at all (most people that have a graphic environment in Linux end up openning a console and issuing command in it anyway).

About the machine, only chances are the CPU or the MB being dead, since those are the only reasons to not hearing the POST warning beeps.

Regards,
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:12 pm

EDIT*

got past stupid mistakes(didnt take the < > out of what u wrote)

/mysql$ rpm -Uvh mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1.i386.rpm
warning: mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
	package mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1 is already installed
Preparing...                ##################################################
/mysql$ rpm -Uvh mysql-4.1.12-3.i386..rpm
error: open of mysql-4.1.12-3.i386..rpm failed: No such file or directory
/mysql$ rpm -Uvh mysql-4.1.12-3.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
	libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by mysql-4.1.12-3.i386
	libcrypto.so.5 is needed by mysql-4.1.12-3.i386
	libssl.so.5 is needed by mysql-4.1.12-3.i386
	libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-5.i386
	libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) dovecot-0.99.11-1.FC3.4.i386
/mysql$ rpm -Uvh glibc-2.3.90-12.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
	glibc-common = 2.3.90-12 is needed by glibc-2.3.90-12.i686
	glibc > 2.3.3 conflicts with glibc-common-2.3.3-74.i386
	glibc = 2.3.3 is needed by (installed) glibc-headers-2.3.3-74.i386
	glibc = 2.3.3 is needed by (installed) glibc-devel-2.3.3-74.i386

from what i understand, this is the next step

mysqladmin -u root -p<root password> create amxx

is says the mysql is installed

/mysql$ rpm -Uvh mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1.i386.rpm
warning: mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
	package mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1 is already installed
but it says file not found...is the 4.1 mysql the one i need? if so i tried googling andrpmsearching the missing dependency files only to find other rpms that require more missing files

thanks for all the help you have given me so far...i hope i can understand this better soon

if u feel like giving more direct support
aim= GUNN3R17
msn= [email protected]

im on late and it seems u post in afternoons early so i prob wont see u anyways.. :(

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:24 am

Hi, GUNN3R17:

You are having a bit of a mixup, you must check the versions you are trying to install. For what you wrote and the failing version numbers, your system is a bit outdated, so you are better off by installing a newer version (even Fedora Core if you prefer), but backup important files and configs you may have, since you should do a clean install to get things up and running without problems.

Regards,
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:38 pm

is there a auto update on the server or is it manual instalation for the system?

just talking about mysql(not cs)...the mysql service isnt running i noticed...is there something i didnt do with mysql to make it appear in my proccess list?

as it is...im thinking about scrapping this server since someone else set it up anyways, i took over after...and fresh install and learn everything better that way...but before i do that i really wanted to use this server as a tester to learn things.

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:30 pm

The mysqld process should be working (try this, but it may be a different filename from from system to system):

/etc/init.d/mysqld start
to get it running, but I seriously advice you doing it fresh, both for you learning something and keeping a log of how you solved/setted unusual points on your system may help you and/or others in the future.

Regards,
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:25 pm

i went in "/etc/init.d/" but there is no mysql file or anything i see in there that would be relating to it

and about the fresh install i would have no idea how to do that...would i lose all data or would it just replace system files with updated ones?

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:54 pm

They you have the package incorrectly installed or it got corrupted.

You would be better off by doing a fresh install, replacing the whole system, just backup personal data (it is stored under the "/bome" dir), and locally changed files (they are normally under "/opt", "/local", "/usr/local" and/or "/var/local"). If you are running a web server don't forget to save the "/var/www" dir. Also the mail spool is stored under "/var/mail" and/or "/var/spool/mail".

Cheers
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:24 pm

im going to see about about that...as it is i might switch hosts...have u heard anything about domaingurus or have a host that you would suggest?

and about the fresh install...would i do that or my host do it?

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:37 pm

No first hand knowledge of hosting services, I never used them, so it's better to ask Geesu and others around here for that. What I suggest is one running Linux with SSH, MySQL and FTP access for the most flexible system possible.

Normally, regarding a rented box, it will be preconfigured with either the OS you want or one from a list of available ones that the renter will give you, depending on the renter. There are some advanced systems where you are able to install remotely an OS from a list of those you are given, but I never seen one of those in action.

Regards,
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:58 pm

got alittle farther...the files there now

/etc/rc.d/init.d$ service mysqld start
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL: [FAILED]

services show "mysqld dead but subsys locked"

any ideas?

EDIT* got past that and now just need to try and figure out the user junk...can directadmin set up the tables for me or do i need to do it manually?

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:42 am

From this point on just follow the corresponding Mini-HOWTO to create users and give them rights.
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:37 pm

"mysql.sock" gets deleted every time i run the command

"mysqladmin -u root -ppassword create war3ft"

then i get the error saying it not there even though it was there right before i ran that command

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:03 am

Please post your "/etc/mysql/my.cnf".
Lazarus

GUNN3R17
Footman

Post by GUNN3R17 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:34 pm

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]