War3x 1.0 Development Update

War3x announcements and releases, download the plugin here

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ryan
Lead Developer<br><b>W A R 3 X</b>

War3x 1.0 Development Update

Post by Ryan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:35 pm

In attempt to generate some buzz for the next WAR3X release, I will be posting updates in this thread as we complete more and more features. This thread will be updated on a regular basis.

More information about the mod can be found at the link below, which is a section of these forums.
index.php?c=4

Berserk - 100%
Completed.

Pillage - 100%
*UPDATE 3/18* - Completed.

Pulverize (re-coding) - 100%
*UPDATE 3/16* - Completed.

Frost Nova - ??%
*UPDATE 3/16* - Unhappy with overall results. This skill may be replaced before v1.0 release.

Elune's Grace - 100%
Skill complete.

Upkeep - 99%
Only a sound is needed for this, it is a client side and optional but i still would like to include it for final release.

Overall progress to 1.0 - 95%
Estimated time remaining until release: ~ A FEW DAYS!
Last edited by Ryan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 9 times in total.
- R y a n
Warcraft 3: EXPANSION
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:50 am

Update made. Frost nova.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:51 am

Update made. Pillage 100% complete. After initial testing, frost nova needs some work.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:11 am

Update - Berserk 100% complete. Added feature to log all run time errors to a separate log file for easy debugging. This will be useful to server admins as well because if they have problems they can attach the file to a support post.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:57 am

Update - the Ultravision skill will not be possible, unfortunately. After many (successful) attempts to implement it in different ways, (a few of which I really like), I'm afraid a reliable overflow client crash is imminent because of all the temporary entity effect(s) being constantly displayed at once.

I will be adding a new skill as a replacement, called Elune's Grace, which will decrease magic (ultimate) damage taken by 5/10/20% and all knife damage by 15/25/35%.

This skill may be implemented as a racial skill as, although a great skill, it's desirability may pale in comparison to trueshot/evasion. When armor becomes much more proficient in the mod, Nature's blessing may become the most sought ability for night elves, leaving players to decide between evasion and trueshot.

The skill is also more "Night-Elvy", in that the night elves are an 'elusive' race (ie- hard to hit) as well as adapt in magic.

There has been no overall progress made on the mod since last update.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:50 pm

Update - added Elune's grace as racial skill, moved Nature's blessing to trainable skill.

Fixed bugs with Frost Nova

Modified evasion slightly

Increased base damage of Chain lightning

other misc changes.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:48 pm

Not too many updates the past few days. I will get to work once I have finished all the essays and take-home tests i have this weekend from school. Pushing estimated launch date back a few days.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:15 pm

*UPDATE*

-- The Upkeep system is about 95% done. All that needs finishing is displaying a message to teammates as soon as the upkeep level changes, and I am adding a client sound for the client pack as well.

-- Pillage changes: Originally this skill was going to simply award money to players when damage was dealt, while at the same time destroying that player's armor. With the implementation of Upkeep though, I felt it necessary to modify this skill since a player can increase their capital significantly with Upkeep alone. Now, this skill will have a chance to actually steal armor, ammo, grenades, or money from the enemy player. The chance will increase with each level trained. Using a knife will have a bonus modifier that will increase the amount of goods stolen. This makes the skill much more desirable, and is a great replacement for reincarnation in my opinion. Combined with pulverize, this skill can be very deadly.

* This skill has not yet been redesigned. I will update this thread when there is progress.

-- Pulverize Changes: Since it's inception, this skill was designed to give orcs power in the form of area effect damage. That, however, is not something players were too fond of (ie- moon glaive!), dying to an ability that did not directly hit them. I personally love the racial role of the orcs--high damage, low defense--and am going to modify this skill to best represent that role. As of 1.0, Pulverize will no longer work on fired weapon attacks. It will be restricted to grenade use only, similar to critical grenade. The damage will be increased (lots) for grenade damage, but will still require more than one person be hit for it's effects to occur. This will make the skill extremely effective vs multiple enemies, yet not effective at all vs a single target. This prevents players from using grenades as a primary weapon to kill a single player like in WC3Mod.

* This skill has not yet been redesigned. I will update this thread when there is progress.

-- Evasion Changes: It seems, that even with Night Elves broken 3rd skill (Moon Glaive), They appear as one of the more prominant races on any server. The reason is simple, the evasion skill is slightly overpowered. I don't believe that lowering it's chance to occur is the right answer, so I am going to increase the time in which Night Elves can evade again after evading a shot. This will be a random number between 5-10 seconds. This means that after a shot is evaded, another shot can not be evaded for few seconds after. I don't want to nerf the probability of NE's evading shots, I just want to lower the chance that many shots can be evaded consecutively. Also, in addition to this change, knife and grenade attacks will no longer be able to be evaded, period. With the inclusion of Elune's Grace, all knife attack damage will be reduced passively at all times.

-- Trueshot Aura Changes: With 1.0, this skill will work only on primary weapons, excluding all sniper rifles. It will no longer work with pistols or scout/awp. Already there is a nerf in place that prevents this ability from working with auto-snipers, and although I know a lot of you like using the scout as NE, I am removing this ability from effecting players when using any sniper rifle.

-- Self Healing Changes: Healing ultimates that require a target will have their effectiveness from self-healing reduced to 60% of their full power if the caster is the primary target. Chain healing ultimates that 'jump' to the player after casting on a teammate will not have their effects reduced.

-- Healing Wave Changes: Healing wave has it's base healing amount increased from 50 to 60. This ultimate can also be self-cast now, with the self-healing changes in effect (this will give the caster 36 health if he casts it on himself initially).

-- Rejuvenation Changes: This ultimate has it's base healing amount increased from 60 to 75. It will also rejuvenate a small amount of armor along with health. This ultimate has self-healing modifier applied (caster will receive 45 health over time if cast on himself). Amount of time it takes to fully heal will also be increased from 12 seconds to 15.

-- Chain Lightning Changes: Base damage of this ultimate has been increased from 50 to 65. More damage for orcs!

-- Bash Change: Bash will now stun for 0.5-2.5 seconds.

-- Avatar Change: Duration of avatar increased from 10 seconds to 12 seconds. Speed also increased slightly.

-- Holy Light Change: Healing on teammates increased from 50 to 60.

-- Death Coil Change: Damage done to enemies increased from 50 to 60.

-- Impale Change: Upon landing, target will be stunned for 1-3 seconds. Damage has also been decreased slightly.

-- Entangling Roots Change: Duration increased from 5 seconds to a random duration between 5-10 seconds. Normal damage will still be taken each second the roots hold.

-- Temporary effects have been reduced/removed from some skills and ultimates. This should prevent a lot of client overflows, and make room for new skills/items/abilities that will be added in the future.

Not all of these changes are in effect yet, however, in the next couple of days they will be added.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:13 pm

*UPDATE*

All goes well. Many of the above changes have been completed. Those that have not I have decided to push to a later release. A full changelog for 1.0 will be made available in the next couple of days.

One change that was not listed, is the item tweak of Amulet of Spell Shield, now renamed the Amulet of Shielding. This item will now only block 1 ultimate, after which the item is destroyed (although in the source code this number can be modified).

On another note, I am displeased with the Frost Nova ability. Although I like the idea of an ability that occurs on death to be consistant with previous versions of war3mod, I have planned an ultimate for an expansion race that will emulate the suicide bomber :) I have another idea for a skill that I will try to implement before launch.

Also, War3x.net will be active once again. I have decided to postpone a public release until the website is back up and running, HOWEVER, I will still release 1.0 to the official servers for testing so that players can experience the new changes. This will allow us to get rid of all crash bugs (if any) that pop up while we await a public release.
- R y a n
Lead Developer

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 pm

Update 3/18

I have decided to release v1.0 with frost nova. This skill will be replaced by v1.1, but I do not want to delay a release much longer.

In 1.1, it will be replaced with disease cloud. more details as they become available.
- R y a n
Lead Developer