Questions about saved xp

Post by cacantre » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:18 am

Specs:
War3ft version 2.2.3
Amxx version 1.01
Metamod version 1.18.0p24
Amxx Plugins 19 standard and 4 custom
Amxx modules 5 standard and 1 custom

First of all the war3ft works great but I am finding that when my vault.ini file gets to about 1.4 MB, the server is taking way to much time to change maps. This causes players to be timed out and they have to reconnect. When I delete the vaul.ini file the server changes maps in less than 15 sec, so no prob. My service provider will not allow the use of mysql data bases on the game server box. So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to save xp to a remote mysql server?
2. Is it possible to "prune" the vault.ini file of old players without messing it up?

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Re: Questions about saved xp

Post by Lazarus Long » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:48 am

Hello, cacantre:
cacantre wrote:1. Is it possible to save xp to a remote mysql server?
Yes, configure the MySQL server to accept from the game server IP instead of localhost, and the game server to search for the MySQL server IP instead of localhost. Better yet, switch to a full game server provider.
cacantre wrote:2. Is it possible to "prune" the vault.ini file of old players without messing it up?
Yes (kind of), set your sv_daysbeforedelete option to a short period.

I hope this helps,
Lazarus

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Post by Geesu » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:16 am

It's not possible to prune the vault file FYI
No Support via PM

cacantre
Peon

Post by cacantre » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:51 am

Okay I set up a remote mysql db on my web server. I created an admin table for admins. I used your vault conversion tool which created the war3users table and populated it. I activated the amxx sql admin and deactivated the other one. I edited the sql.cfg with the server, username, password, db and table info. I did the same to the war3ft.cfg with all the same info except for the table. I restarted the server and the amxx admin is working fine but the war3 xp stuff is not working it says "could not connect to server after 20 tries going to temporary mode" or something to that effect. The version of mysql that my web service uses is 4.0.25. I think there is some issue with the war3users table. Any ideas, have I overlooked something?

ferret
Lead Warcraft 3 XP Developer

Post by ferret » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:16 am

MySQL runs with remote connections disabled by default. Talk to your system admin to make sure remote servers can connect. MySQL users are also "hostname protected" .. which is to say that they can only be logged into from specific hostnames/IPs, unless "any" is specificied.

However, I highly suggest against this. Remote MySQL is too slow for a "real time" application like CS 1.6 .. CS can't wait for queries to come back and will lag as a result, even on small tables. A large MySQL table, as would result from your 1.4meg vault file, will cause major lag on your server, much worse than the map change delay you experience now.

Geesu: I prune vault in WC3 XP.
-< www.gamehavoc.com >-

Lazarus Long: And I know you didn't because the Server Files are version 2.2.6 and the file you posted is version 2.2.5, so do as I told you above and don't ever lie to me again or help is gone!

cacantre
Peon

Post by cacantre » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:29 pm

I have the server ip set up as a connection for the mysql, and as I said the amxx is connecting because the admin stuff is working fine. If reading the the xp table with a remote connection will cause lag I guess maybe I should not do it. I just wanted a way to keep the xp pruned. When I did the vault conversion the vault.ini file was 1.56MB and the table it created was about 270KB.

ferret wrote:Geesu: I prune vault in WC3 XP.
How do you do this?

ferret
Lead Warcraft 3 XP Developer

Post by ferret » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:45 pm

WC3 XP and WC3 FT do vault implementations differently.

You can try remote mysql.. But my experience is that you can expect lag as a result.
-< www.gamehavoc.com >-

Lazarus Long: And I know you didn't because the Server Files are version 2.2.6 and the file you posted is version 2.2.5, so do as I told you above and don't ever lie to me again or help is gone!

Lazarus Long
Lead PITA SOB

Post by Lazarus Long » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:30 pm

Hello, cacantre:

It would help a lot if you posted the full startup log until the
cacantre wrote:"could not connect to server after 20 tries going to temporary mode"
message.

This, and you being able to connect to the admins table, means that the problem is either, though unlikelly, due to a possible max out of concurrent connections (a web server is also connecting to the database server, right?) or the war3users table has incorrect permissions for its user, so: delete the table, create it by hand (follow the Mini HOWTO if you don't know how to do it) start the game server and play a round or two in order to start populating the table to see if it works, if so then use the script to convert from your vault.ini file.

And as ferret noted, you might have to give up on this approach, if lag gets uncontrolable, it's different saving to a remote server on a physically connected LAN and on the Internet (unless you get lucky and the servers end up being very close to each other).

I hope this helps,
Lazarus

cacantre
Peon

Post by cacantre » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:39 pm

Actually I tried creating the table manually this afternoon. It worked for 1 xp save then when I tried to save again it gave me that message. I think you guys are right, it is not practical to do this via the internet. I guess I will just delete the vault.ini file every couple of months or whenever it starts becoming a problem again. Unless ofcourse you guys come up with someway to prune it.

Thanks for the comments,

Daver
WC3Mods Donor
WC3Mods Donor

Post by Daver » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:30 am

I use mysql on my webserver from two different game server locations. Number 1 is my house server and the second one is a rental somewhere arround where I live. I was havin problems too at first but are you sayin the lagg at map changes will be bad, cuz mine is not. Or during game play? If you need I can show you my cfg s for how my mysql is setup...

Daver

cacantre
Peon

Post by cacantre » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:34 am

I think my problem is that my game server provider is in Atlanta and my web server provider is somewhere in Minnesota. And by the way Daver, your number 2 server is with the same provider I have only at a different data center.8)

Geesu
<b>King of the world!</b>

Post by Geesu » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:41 am

using a mysql server that is in a different location is a BAD idea if latency b/t the servers is above 30ms
No Support via PM